About Me

My photo
SUBURBAN OBAMACORE AND ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE ART I'M A SONGWRITER NAMED KATA BEL AIR AND I WORK WITH BANDS AND I WORK BY MYSELF. FORBIDDEN LOVE IS THE BEST KIND. VOMITING SPACEGLITTER SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.
2012 ACS Cultureshock Music Group. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, March 30, 2013

BEAUTIFUL & TERRIFYING

Hey guys

So last time I checked in with y'all, I had just shown you guys the hype dates for my SUPER local tour going on right now, and I just wanted to break down my first real live show ever!! I performed with this really cool and good band that I just met two months ago called the Wave Magnets or Wavemagnets I'm actually not 100% that a decision was really made on the spelling. Watch my show or listen to it in the background while you read the rest of this postttt:



So this performance was basically the most terrifying moment of my entire life because I mean outside of bars and stuff that I perform my songs like... I don't know like people aren't usually there strictly for the purpose of seeing me. Those shows are easy- the ones where you can play your music and people are going to be there anyway, you don't have to worry about draw.

This show was actually the pre-show to the red carpet premiere of a documentary about Star Wars called The Force Within Us, and the premise is like how Star Wars has impacted the nation from a childhood versus and adulthood standpoint. It was really interestingly presented.

ANYWAY, I had only had three rehearsals with this band, and I had to learn these songs in full with solos in basically a month so I was really cramming to make sure it came out looking good, because this kind of red carpet thing is sort of a big deal- I didn't want to just stand there and be boring.

I played through three songs, and even though the second one was sort of a mess, it was good because me and the bassist were really good at like talking to the audience and making sure our clinical awkwardness wasn't getting to them. The audience stopped clapping for the verses of Seven Nation Army, I called them out on making me look awkward. I unplugged my guitar completely during Come Together- I very openly let them know. The goal was to make the show seem like conversational- not like I was just someone singing on stage for entertainment- but an actual person that you could know from anywhere.

If there's anything I've learned from this kind of show it's that if you mess up, it's not the end of the world. As long as you just keep pushing forward and don't allow the song to stop, you're okay. The Arcada is beautiful and huge and REALLY REALLY SCARY. It was decorated like a Disney princess movie.

I'm announcing more dates in the next week or so, so that'll be exciting. Mildly at the very least.

Ω,
Kata

No comments:

Post a Comment