About Me

My photo
SUBURBAN OBAMACORE AND ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE ART I'M A SONGWRITER NAMED KATA BEL AIR AND I WORK WITH BANDS AND I WORK BY MYSELF. FORBIDDEN LOVE IS THE BEST KIND. VOMITING SPACEGLITTER SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.
2012 ACS Cultureshock Music Group. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

KILL YOUR BABIES

There is an old songwriter's moniker that bluntly states "kill your babies." It means that every lyricist on the face of the Earth thinks that each of their creations is equally as beautiful and perfect as the next. The phrase is simply a wake up call to those lyricists, especially ones like me. Commercially, not every song is going to be a smash like it can measure up to be in your head. 

I have never really had this issue, especially now that I'm writing a follow-up to a record that I consider to be stellar- it's very easy to draw comparison and realize that not every song is the best song I've ever written. But I refuse to write an album with a filler track. Or multiple filler tracks. If I don't love what I write, then other people definitely won't. 

I'm incredibly excited to have the time to write again, and I've found inspiration through some really everyday stuff- for example I just finished up a song for the second album called "Innocent Eye." I got the name in English class, where we were talking about points of view in literature, and one of them was called Innocent Eye- it described any work in which a child was telling the story. 

I was probably the only artsy weirdo who did, but I took serious offense to that. I'm a child, and I've listened to my debut a million times, and I think I tell a damn good story- why do "children" need a separate category? We're just as capable as anyone else to convey a story. The song is an angry one, as you might have expected. But not in the textbook terrible way you might think. It's teen angst, it's irony. It's not one of my babies I'm about to kill.

I get scared though, because I don't want to write a whole album on the "kill your babies" theorem until I've 1-uped my way through a twelve song set. I need to be equally happy with everything. I just want to feel the same about everything.

(((xxxo)))
Nick 

No comments:

Post a Comment