About Me

My photo
SUBURBAN OBAMACORE AND ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE ART I'M A SONGWRITER NAMED KATA BEL AIR AND I WORK WITH BANDS AND I WORK BY MYSELF. FORBIDDEN LOVE IS THE BEST KIND. VOMITING SPACEGLITTER SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.
2012 ACS Cultureshock Music Group. Powered by Blogger.

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

My Writing Process

Just wanted to take some time out to describe this to you, because I don't think we've been over this.

As you all know, (or should know), I am in the midst of writing my second record, and recording and finalizing my debut. I have a very set writing process- it's pretty simple, but I use it in every song you will hear off the first record.

The way I used to write was, I would write lyrics and a melody first, and then hope to be lucky and find a musical arrangement to fit it. This turned out to be not so great, since I used it before I even was A Censored Sunlight- I wound up with a huge pile of great lyrics and melodies with absolutely no musical direction to them. That sucked.

So what I turned to was writing musical parts first and then writing lyrics over it. In this way, I feel like I have more honest lyrics because once I have a great piece to write with, the thoughts start flowing from me and I don't overthink about how I must be feeling about a situation. It's almost my downfall as a songwriter in that sense- I don't really even know how I feel until I see it on paper. From there, I find my own meaning in it. 

TANGENT: This is the goal of my lyrics. I don't like to tell what my songs are about because when my fans hear the backstory, they start to connect it to that scenario every time they hear it, and then they might not be able to relate. But, if I leave the mystery in my words, everyone needs to find their own meaning, and in that way, my lyrics have a different significance to each listener. It's a system I've learned to love. 

Anyway, I my method is why Bloodlines sounds like it does (BRIEF TANGENT: It drops on December 21st, 2012!) because when I would write these arrangements, I had certain go-to chords- especially on piano, which is primarily self-taught. These chords were minor chords, which makes my debut sound pretty sad and sadistic. 

So with this new record, I'm trying to break away from writing in that style and find new ways to develop a song. I don't want to make another sad record- I'm done being sad! I am putting the finishing touches on maybe four new songs right now- one of them is a song called "The Wild Side" (tentatively) that I'll probably be posting a snippet of on my Soundcloud in a few days. Here's some of the lyrics.

I miss the heart wrenching stories//and mardis gras strings//the smiles on our face//and all of our dreams//but everything I miss about you//I miss about New Orleans

(((xxxo)))
Nick

LINK TO MY SOUNDCLOUD: www.soundcloud.com/acensoredsunlight
LINK TO MY MUSIC ON ITUNES: http://itunes.apple.com/us/artist/a-censored-sunlight/id458006911

love to everyone, please be sure to listen to all my music and continue spreading the word <3

No comments:

Post a Comment