About Me

My photo
SUBURBAN OBAMACORE AND ACOUSTIC PERFORMANCE ART I'M A SONGWRITER NAMED KATA BEL AIR AND I WORK WITH BANDS AND I WORK BY MYSELF. FORBIDDEN LOVE IS THE BEST KIND. VOMITING SPACEGLITTER SINCE THE DAWN OF TIME.
2012 ACS Cultureshock Music Group. Powered by Blogger.

Saturday, August 11, 2012

TEMPORAL AGNOSTICISM

And I suffer every day.

I have a very small conflict with my family as of right now. I'm not asking for anyone's opinion with this one- tonight is gonna be a ranting night. 

My family is, primarily Jewish. It's complicated, because both of my parents are mixed between Christians and Jews, and then they had me. The holiday season is nice, but with mildly awkward undertones. Anyway, as much as the average person does, I do a fair amount of thinking about death, religion, afterlife- that kind of thing. And I decided that I was Agnostic- I feel like until we experience death, we can't make judgements about deities and the afterlife. I also feel that religion causes a lot of fuss and fighting about essentially nothing. Isn't it better to stop questioning and start living in hope of witnessing what may or may not await?

Here's the conflict. The Christians in my family are very Christian and the Jews in my family are very Jewish. When they heard of my thinking and recent decision I made for myself as a person, I sort of got attacked.

"Well his mother is Jewish, so he is also."

This would be a valid argument if I wasn't a religious mutt. But even if I was 100% Jewish on my mom's side, would that really even matter? I'm not "Jewish by blood"- no one is! Religion is not the same as nationality. You choose to be Jewish, or Christian, or Agnostic, or Atheist, or Buddhist, or whatever- you don't choose to be American, or Russian, or Mexican. Most kids just grow up in a household of that religious variety and choose to adopt it for themselves. I'm not most kids. I made the decision to be who I am, and if you have a problem with that, it's none of your business anyway.

Let me be me. And if I change my mind, you'll all be the first to know. 

(((xxxo)))

No comments:

Post a Comment